Curries are simply a category of dishes made with a mix of savory spices. While you can make your own curry powder, it’s easy to find in the spice section at most grocery stores. Keep it on-hand to whip up a quick dish. Just a little bit adds a ton of flavor! This curry makes an excellently filling meal and comes together easily!
One-Pot Lentil Curry [Vegan]
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green apple, chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger, minced or 1 tsp powdered ginger
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes, chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed (red or brown)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup soy milk (or other non-dairy milk) unsweetened
- 1 lime, juiced or 1 tablespoon
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Add curry powder and let cook 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add garlic, onions, green apple, ginger and cilantro, saute for 1-2 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add all remaining ingredients, except lime juice. Once beginning to boil, reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, add lime juice and puree using an immersion blender. If too thick, add 1-2 tablespoon of additional soy milk.
- Enjoy topped with red pepper flakes, cilantro, pepitas or shredded coconut.
If you don't have an immersion blender, let soup cool and transfer to a blender to puree. The color of your curry will depend on the color of lentils used.
- Lentil Curry