Pâté, by traditional definition, is a mixture of cooked ground meat and fat minced into a spreadable paste. This recipe is a delicious and vegan-friendly version of the dip that uses mushrooms, walnuts, and plenty of seasoning including garlic, parsley, ginger, tarragon, pepper, and lemon. Serve with fresh vegetables or some toasted bread.
Mushroom Walnut Pâté [Vegan]
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon peeled and grated ginger
- 1/2 cup parsley, loosely packed
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 5 turns black pepper
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cup walnuts
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Heat a skillet over medium heat for a minute or so until it gets warm.
- Add the onions, garlic, ginger, parsley, tarragon, sea salt, and black pepper and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently so the ingredients don’t stick to the bottom of the pan. If they start to stick, add just a little splash of water.
- Add mushrooms and 2 tablespoons of water and cook for 4 minutes, stirring intermittently.
- Place the walnuts, lemon juice, and the onion/mushroom mixture in a food processor and process until smooth, for about 5 minutes.
- Stop processing occasionally and use a rubber spatula to push down any pâté that has collected on the side of the food processor.
- Let chill for at least an hour before serving. Serve with cucumber rounds or on toasted sprouted bread.