This chocolate mousse is thick, rich, and velvety. The recipe uses silken tofu, which is a stellar ingredient in desserts as it gives a creamy and luscious texture. Its mild flavour also allows for other ingredients to shine—in this recipe, chocolate! This is one of my husband, Mitch’s, all-time favourite desserts and one that convinced him, in those early transition days, that we could still enjoy our favourite recipes on a plant-based diet.
Mousse au Chocolat [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Mousse au Chocolat [Vegan]
- 2 bars (7 ounces/200 g each), 70% dark chocolate, broken into chunks
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 blocks (12 ounces/340 g each) silken tofu
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 to 6 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk, more as needed
- Flaky sea salt, for sprinkling
How to Prepare Mousse au Chocolat [Vegan]
- In a small saucepan, bring 2 inches of water to a low simmer over low heat. Place a small heatproof glass bowl on top of the pot, making sure the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water. Add the dark chocolate and coconut oil and melt the chocolate, stirring often, until completely smooth. Keep over low heat until ready to use. (Alternatively, you can melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30-second intervals. Optional to reserve a chunk of the chocolate and cut it into 1 to 2 tablespoons of fine shavings for garnish.) Transfer the silken tofu to a nut milk bag (or a thin kitchen towel, gathering the corners to form a small sack). Squeeze the bag with your hands to remove most of the water. (You should not have to squeeze too hard to release the water. Once it becomes difficult to squeeze, you can stop.)
- Transfer the squeezed tofu to a food processor. Add the maple syrup, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, salt, and the melted chocolate. Pour in 4 tablespoons of the almond milk and blend together until smooth. Add more almond milk, a little at a time, if the consistency is too thick. It should be puddingy. It will thicken slightly as it chills.
- Scoop the mousse into a medium bowl and cover with reusable wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. To serve, scoop into small bowls or glass cups and sprinkle with flaky sea salt and reserved chocolate shavings, if desired.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.