This rich molasses cake is the perfect dessert for easy at-home baking. It's made from spelt which gives it a heartier texture than a cake made with all-purpose flour and it has a rich flavor thanks to blackstrap molasses. Blackstrap molasses is a true nutrition bomb and is a great contribution to our daily intake of iron and calcium. It doesn't get much better than desserts with benefits.
Molasses Spelt Cake [Vegan]
For the Cake:
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 2-3 teaspoons stevia powder or other sweetener of choice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup vegan buttermilk (1 cup soy milk mixed with 2 teaspoons lemon juice)
- 1/4 cup, plus 1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses
- 1/4 cup, plus 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup vegan sour cream or think vegan yogurt
- 2 teaspoons rice syrup or coconut blossom nectar
For the Optional Garnish:
- Peppermint leaves
- Lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 355°F.
- In a bowl, combine all dry ingredients for the cake. Then, add wet ingredients and mix well with a whisk.
- Grease a springform pan, baking tray, or loaf pan. and pour in the batter. Bake for 40 minutes, then test doneness with a toothpick. Allow cake to cool before removing from the pan.
- Make the frosting by combining everything together in a pan. Frost the cake as desired, then add garnish if using.