If you like berries and muffins, these mixed berry streusel muffins are the treat for you. They're moist, fluffy, and the perfect combination of flavors! The tartness of the blueberries and raspberries compliments the sweet cinnamon streusel topping so well. I personally like the streusel and the muffin top the best, so I added a lot of streusel. Instead of just plain flour, I used almond meal for more flavour and better texture. You are going to love these mixed berry streusel muffins! Keep in the pantry for a quick snack or for when you're craving something sweet!
Mixed Berry Streusel Muffins [Vegan]
- 1 cup (128g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (110g) packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1.4 tsp salt
- 1/2 flax seed egg
- 1/2 cup (125ml) unsweetened organic soy milk
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp vegan butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150g of fresh raspberries
- 150g of fresh blueberries
For the Streusel
- 1/4 cup (30g) almond meal
- 1/4 cup (55g) packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp vegan butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375F (190°).
- Combine soy milk and apple cider vinegar, set aside.
- To prepare the streusel topping, combine the almond meal, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt and vegan butter in a bowl, set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl whisk together egg, soy milk, vegan butter and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients, stir twice. Add about half of the blueberries and raspberries to the batter, gently combine with a spatula. The batter will be lumpy.
- Pour the batter into 6 paper lined muffin pan cups.
- Add the remaining fresh fruits on top of the batter (you might have some extra berries left).
- Add a generous amount of streusel (about 1 tsp) on top of every muffin.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes.
- Leave the muffins in the tin to cool for a few minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
½ flax egg : - ½ tbsp of ground flax seed and 1.5 tbsp of water, stir well and let rest for 10 minutes.