In this recipe, Japanese eggplant and zucchini are coated in a miso glaze. The vegetables are first roasted in the oven until tender, then coated in a sweet umami mixture, and returned to the oven until the glaze begins to caramelize. The roasted vegetables are flavorful on their own, but the glaze adds both taste and a slightly crisp texture that will have you returning to this recipe again and again. Serve these tender veggies on a bed of rice with sautéed greens, to transform them from a side dish to a complete meal.
Miso-Roasted Japanese Eggplant and Zucchini [Vegan]
- 1 large eggplant cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 zucchini, cut into thin sticks
- 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons miso
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon cooking sake
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat the oven to 410°F.
- Toss the eggplant and zucchini in the oil, arrange it in a single layer in a baking dish, and sprinkle with salt.
- Roast for 20 minutes, or until soft and lightly golden.
- Mix all of the remaining ingredients until smooth.
- Remove the pan from the oven, pour the mixture over the vegetables, and return the pan to the oven for another 10 minutes, until the sauce caramelizes.
- Garnish with finely chopped spring onion and toasted sesame seeds.