This has always been one of my favorite foods, love to eat it and prepare it. I always try to double the recipe to have frozen leftovers. It's a great way to prepare dinner in advance. This meatless meatballs are so easy and yummy that you could eat them in a sub or over pasta.
Meatless Meatball-Sub [Vegan]
For the Meatballs:
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- 1/2 cup onion into large chunks
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed
- 1/3 cashews (best if they are raw, unroasted and unsalted)
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon if dry
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds (optional)
- zest of one lemon (optional)
For the Italian Tomato Sauce:
- 1/4 cup chopped onion very thin
- 1 clove of garlic in pieces
- 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil (enough to cover the bottom of the pan you're using)
- 28 oz. can cooked tomatoes
To Make the Meatballs:
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- Put the ingredients in the food processor and pulse several times until everything is well integrated
- Form meatballs and place them on a baking sheet. (I would put baking paper so I do not have to wash the tray later;) )
- Leave them in the oven for about 10 min. rotate the pan and leave for 5min. more. Be careful not to dry them. The idea is that they are firm, not dry and hard to eat.
To Make the Tomato Sauce:
- Put olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pot.
- Put the onion with a pinch of salt to cook without browning.
- Then the garlic for about 2 minutes more, do not let it change color, just cook.
- Add the tomatoes, a pinch of salt and leave uncovered for about 15 minutes.
- Try before serving.
For each cup of uncooked lentils you get about 2 cups of cooked lentils. To cook, place a cup of dried lentils for two of water, place over low heat until soft