The topping is a delicious and refined sugar-free granola, whose crunchy texture pairs perfectly with the soft and creamy sweet potato center. But besides the decadent taste and texture, what you'll love most about this dish is how simple and easy it is to prepare, and what a wonderful make-ahead meal it makes for holiday dinner parties. Just store it in the fridge and bake in the oven right before you’re ready to serve.
Maple Sweet Potato Casserole With Granola Topping [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Maple Sweet Potato Casserole With Granola Topping [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make the Sweet Potato Mash:
- 5 pounds sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup (more if needed)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut or almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- Pinch of sea salt and black pepper, to taste
To Make the Granola Topping:
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 cup pecans, walnuts, or almonds
- 1/4 cup almond flour (or almond meal)
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- Pinch of sea salt
How to Prepare Maple Sweet Potato Casserole With Granola Topping [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Fill up a large pot with about 2 inches of water and add in the cleaned sweet potatoes. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium and let it simmer for 20-30 minutes (depending on the sizes) until potatoes are soft when pierced with a fork. Drain the water and set them aside until cool enough to handle or run cold water over them to quick-cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the granola topping: Add all granola ingredients to a food processor and pulse a few times until fully combined but still chunky. Alternatively, you can mix everything in a bowl as long as you chop the pecans first
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Peel the sweet potatoes and add them to the food processor in batches and process until smooth. You can also do this by hand using a potato masher, but a food processor will yield much smoother results. Add the rest of mash ingredients and mix until fully combined.
- Pour the sweet potato mash into an oven safe casserole dish, even out the surface with a spatula, and cover with the granola topping, evenly distributed
- Place in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown on top. Let it cool for 5-10 minutes and enjoy!
Per Serving: Calories: 552 | Carbs: 77 g | Fat: 26 g | Protein: 8 g | Sodium: 164 mg | Sugar: 22 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.