The following recipe takes me right back to my childhood. My mom and dad used to serve me maple quick oats with a spoonful of peanut butter for breakfast regularly, and that combination (and then some) remains my favorite to this day. I enjoy using my favorite all-natural, organic and gluten-free ingredients in this hearty homemade version, but substitutions are always welcome. So go and put your creativity to the test, and enjoy!
Maple Spice Oatmeal [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup water or non-dairy milk of choice
- 1/3 cup gluten-free old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- Pinch of sea salt
- a nice spoonful of natural peanut butter or sunflower seed butter
- 2 large Medjool dates,chopped
- a generous sprinkle of raw pumpkin seeds
- Heat water/milk, oats, and a pinch of salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer on low for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until creamy and almost all liquid has been absorbed. Stir in the flaxseed, maple syrup, and spices.
- Remove from heat and transfer oats to a serving bowl. Top with nut/seed butter, dates, pumpkin seeds, or any other toppings you love!