This vegan mac and cheese is super simple, low fat, oil-free, nut free and absolutely delicious.
Mac and Cheese [Vegan]
For the Pasta:
- 2 1/2 cups macaroni
- 1/4 cup chickpea breadcrumbs optional, only if making baked version
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika optional, only if making baked version
For the Vegan Cheese Sauce:
- 6 small Yukon gold potatoes (about 4 cups thinly chopped)
- 8 ounces organic silken tofu
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (about 1/2 medium-sized lemon)
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons garlic and herb seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Chop the potatoes into small pieces
Steam the potatoes for 20 minutes, or until soft
Meanwhile, cook your macaroni of choice according to package instructions. You can do this in the same pot where you steam the potatoes.
Preheat the oven to 400°F if baking the mac and cheese. This is optional.
Make the sauce by combining potatoes, tofu, lemon juice, salt, nutritional yeast, garlic and herb seasoning, turmeric, and black pepper in a high speed blender.
Blend sauce ingredients until completely smooth. Use your tamper to push the contents into the blades.
Open the blender very carefully, as contents may be very hot.
Once pasta is cooked, place it in a glass oven-safe dish.
Combine pasta with sauce. You can enjoy as is, or bake in the oven.
To bake, top pasta with smoked paprika, then breadcrumbs evenly.
Place in the oven at 400°F for 20-25 minutes, or until the breadcrumbs turn slightly golden.