An absolutely delicious savory loaf perfect for holiday gatherings. This loaf is hearty, filling and pairs well with various side dishes. Plus, it is packed full of protein and lentils!
Lentil Loaf [Vegan]
- 1/3 small butternut squash (about 2 pounds) peeled and cut into 1-2 inch chunks.
- 3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup dried green/brown lentils
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cups minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup whole almonds finely chopped
- 1/4 cup white miso paste diluted in 3 tablespoon water
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Peel your butternut squash, cut them into 1 1/2 inch cubes and toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Roast on a parchment lined pan for about 50 minutes or until the squash is very soft.
- While it's still hot transfer it to a food processor and puree until it's smooth and creamy.
- Meanwhile bring about 6 cups of water to a boil and add your barley.
- Cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes and then add your brown lentils for another 35 minutes. Drain well when done.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in pan over medium and add onion and garlic and saute for about a minute.
- Add celery, carrot, rosemary, thyme, and oregano and saute until veggies are tender about 7 minutes.
- Combine your cooked lentils and barley, sautéed veggies, oats, parsley, almonds, miso diluted in water, pureed squash and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Coat an 8 inch metal pan (or use two loaf pans) with remaining oil and transfer mix to pan.
- Bake until heated through and golden brown around the edges around 45 minutes.
- Cut loaf into squares and transfer to plates.