Think it isn't possible to satisfy your burger cravings in a healthy way? Think again! This lentil curry burger is packed with hearty, protein-filled lentils and is seasoned with zesty, homemade curry powder. Deck these patties out on your favorite buns, or wrap them in a crunchy, lettuce wrap for a lighter option.
Lentil Curry Burger [Vegan]
- Your choice of hamburger buns
For the Curry Powder:
- 3 dry red chilies, soaked in warm water
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds/powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger, fresh
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro, dried or fresh
- 1 teaspoon lemongrass, chopped
For the Patty:
- 2 cups red lentils, soaked and drained
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon white sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
- In a food processor, grind the ingredients of curry powder as smooth as possible. Keep it aside.
- Pulse the lentils separately in a food processor as smooth as possible. Make sure there is no water in it. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan and add sesame seeds.
- Immediately add the curry powder and toss for a few seconds until its aromatic.
- Now add coconut milk to the pan and mix quickly. Add the lentils and salt and mix very well.
- Cook uncovered for 5-7 minutes. It's okay if the lentil sticks to the pan, once cooled, it will peel off easily. Make sure to cook properly in medium flame to avoid any raw taste in lentil.
- Turn off the flame and let it cool. Take this lentil mixture in a mixing bowl and add bread crumbs and mix with your hands.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal parts and form a ball between your palms. Press from the center, making sure that the edges do not break too much.
- Prepare your grill or oven and grill the patties. Serve as you desire on your choice of buns.