Words cannot describe how delicious this mushroom shepherd’s pie is. It is basically a deep dish of absolute comfort. It’s a bit of a project, but not too difficult Besides, it’s definitely worth it for a special occasion. Mushrooms, lentils, and potatoes with an array of delicious seasonings––how could this not make your mouth water? Try making this mushroom shepherd’s pie. It is unbelievably tasty!
Lentil and Mushroom Shepherd’s Pie [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Lentil and Mushroom Shepherd’s Pie [Vegan]
- 8 large or 10 medium potatoes (Yukon gold works well)
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1/2 cup rice milk
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 ounces Cremini or Baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- Two 15-ounce cans lentils, lightly drained
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine, optional
- 1 to 2 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce or liquid aminos
- 2 to 3 teaspoons all-purpose seasoning blend
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot
- 8 to 10 ounces baby spinach or arugula leaves
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
How to Prepare Lentil and Mushroom Shepherd’s Pie [Vegan]
- Peel and dice the potatoes. Place in a large saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a simmer, then cover and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and transfer to a small mixing bowl.
- Stir the Earth Balance into the potatoes until melted, then add the rice milk and mash until fluffy. Season with salt, cover, and set aside until needed.
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat the oil in a medium skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until translucent. Add the garlic and mushrooms and continue to sauté until the onion is golden.
- Add the lentils and their liquid and bring to a gentle simmer. Stir in the optional wine, soy sauce, seasoning blend, thyme, and pepper. Cook gently for 5 minutes. Combine the cornstarch with just enough water to dissolve in a small container. Stir into the lentil mixture.
- Add the spinach, a little at a time, cooking just until it’s all wilted down. Remove from the heat; taste to adjust seasonings to your liking.
- Lightly oil a 2-quart (preferably round) casserole dish, or two deep-dish pie plates. Scatter the breadcrumbs evenly over the bottom. Pour in the lentil mixture, then spread the potatoes evenly over the top. If using two pie plates, divide each mixture evenly between them.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the potatoes begin to turn golden and slightly crusty. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes, then cut into wedges to serve.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Potato Recipes
- Yellow/Yukon Gold Potato
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 2873 | Total Carbs: 546 g | Total Fat: 38 g | Total Protein: 126 g | Total Sodium: 1584 g | Total Sugar: 42 g Per Serving: Calories: 359 | Carbs: 68 g | Fat: 5 g | Protein: 16 g | Sodium: 198 mg | Sugar: 5 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.