Lasagna is ubiquitous with family dinners and comfort food and this recipe is packed with all kinds of hearty goodness. It combines a creamy cashew bechamel sauce with sautéed vegetables, homemade low-fat tomato sauce, and almond Parmesan cheese on top. You won't miss dairy when you take a bite of this.
Lasagna With Cashew Bechamel [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Lasagna With Cashew Bechamel [Vegan]
For the Lasagna:
- 1 box lasagna noodles
For the Cashew Bechamel:
- 1 1/2 cups cashews, soaked overnight
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/3 cup water, plus more if needed
- A dash of salt and pepper
For the Veggie Tomato Sauce:
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6-8 mushrooms, sliced
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups of spinach
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped
- 1 1/2 14.5-ounce jars of canned tomatoes
- 1/2 cup tomato purée
- Oregano, basil, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, and paprika, to taste
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
For the Toppings:
How to Prepare Lasagna With Cashew Bechamel [Vegan]
- Prepare and cut all the vegetables as instructed.
- Heat a big pot with a bit of the vegetable broth and sauté the chopped onions, together with the garlic until golden brown.
- Slowly add the rest of the cut vegetables with the rest of the broth and the canned tomatoes. Add the tomato purée and spices and mix everything together (spices according to your taste). Let simmer until the vegetables are cooked.
- In the meantime, prepare the cashew bechamel and almond parmesan cheese. For the cashew bechamel sauce, add all the ingredients into the blender and mix until smooth.
- Once the vegetable tomato sauce is ready, preheat the oven to 425°F and start layering the baking pan. First a layer of tomato sauce, then about 3 lasagna sheets, then bechamel sauce on top, and repeat the steps until the tray is full.
- Finish with a layer of tomato sauce and sprinkle the almond parmesan cheese on top.
- Cook in the oven for about 30 minutes, then serve.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per Serving: Calories: 422 | Carbs: 66 g | Fat: 11 g | Protein: 16 g | Sodium: 171 mg | Sugar: 9 g Calculation not including vegan parmesan.Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.