This marrying of a Canadian favorite and a Korean digestion-enhancing, healthful flavor bomb might seem a bit strange, but just close your eyes – right now, do it. Now imagine biting into a hot, soft sweet potato fry that has been seasoned perfectly with fragrant, garlicky, gingery and impeccably spiced kimchi – then you get a hint of a tangy and ever so cheesy hemp sauce. Oh yeah. You know you’re down.
Kimchi Poutine [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup kimchi
- 1/2 cup hemp hearts
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2-2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons water
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Wash and cut the sweet potato into desired shapes.
- Dot a large oven-proof dish with chunks of coconut oil, arrange sweet potato fries over top, and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 25 minutes or until soft, then broil for a minute or two to crisp them up.
- Blitz the hemp hearts, nutritional yeast, olive oil, lemon juice, water and a pinch of salt in a blender until smooth, taste and season with more salt or lemon as needed.
- To assemble, pile the sweet potato fries into two bowls, cover with about half a cup of kimchi per bowl (or as desired), drizzle with hemp heart cheese sauce.
- Enjoy immediately!