Kidney bean masala is a common entrée in Indian cuisine. In this recipe, the spices and flavors of the popular Indian dish are kept but some spinach is incorporated for added nutrition. And of course, the fragrant dish has a delicious blend of spices.
Kidney Beans Spinach Masala [Vegan]
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 Roma tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup white sesame seeds
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 4 whole cloves
- 4 peppercorns
- 4 green cardamoms
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- A pinch of cinnamon powder
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- A pinch of ginger powder
- 1 15-ounce can of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- In a food processor, combine, onions, tomatoes, sesame seeds, spinach, cloves, peppercorns, and cardamom, and grind smooth.
- Heat oil in a pan and add fennel seeds and cinnamon powder. Let the seeds cook for a few seconds.
- Add the spinach paste to it and sauté. Cook for 5 minutes in a medium flame or until cooked thoroughly.
- Now, add turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, ginger powder, and chili powder and sauté very well. Cook for another 3-4 minutes or until all the spices are cooked properly and you get the aroma.
- Now add kidney beans and mix so as to coat each kidney bean with the spinach paste.
- Now add water, salt, and garam masala. Mix, cover, and cook for 4-5 minutes or until thoroughly cooked.
- Turn off the flame and serve hot.