Eating a bowl of this fried rice for dinner won't physically transport you to Thailand, but it will take your tastebuds on a trip around the world! This recipe is enhanced with the addition of a super simple Thai red chili hot sauce, which gives the rice a fiery, flavorful kick.
Kao Pad Thai Fried Rice [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups rice (pre-cooked, cold from fridge)
- 1 batch Thai red chili hot sauce (follow the link for the recipe)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or preferred amount)
- 3/4 cup sliced red onion
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup carrots, sliced thin
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup sweet snap peas, sliced in thirds
- 1 Roma tomato, chopped
- Handful fresh cilantro
- 6 slices cucumber
- Few slices of lime for garnish
- Prepare the rice one day in advance. Cold rice will provide a less sticky stir-fry.
- Prepare the Thai red chili hot sauce and set aside. (The link to the recipe is provided in the ingredients.)
- Wash and chop the vegetables. Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Roll the oil around. Add the onion and saute, let it begin to caramelize, add the garlic and stir.
- Add the balance of the vegetables, saute for 2-3 minutes. Add additional coconut oil if needed and add the cold rice. Sauté for two minutes, add the batch of Thai red chili hot sauce, fresh tomatoes, and cilantro, and mix well. Serve with a few slices of cucumber and lime.