Thinking about your beloved boxed mac and cheese and really missing it? Have no fear, this recipe has got you covered! Normally homemade mac and cheese is pretty much all sorts of unhealthy melted cheeses thrown together with white pasta, butter and cream. Believe it or not, this recipe for vegan ‘just like boxed’ mac and cheese is pretty damn near close to the real unhealthy deal, but healthy! Don’t be intimidated by coconut milk. It does not taste like coconuts.
‘Just Like Boxed’ Mac and Cheese [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup elbow macaroni noodles (gluten-free if you're making this gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (full-fat)
- 1/4 cup red onion (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Marmite
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- Cook macaroni according to the package directions, drain, and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, add 1 tablespoon olive oil, garlic and red onion. Sauté for about 3 minutes, or until they are translucent.
- Add the rest of the ingredients into the sauce pan, along with the noodles.
- Stir well, and serve immediately.
- Garnish with chives.