Some of you may be wondering, what the heck is a hush puppy? It’s basically a fried corn dog, with no dog, and whatever you else would like to pack in there! Sounds underwhelming, but it’s so good. Some days you just need something fried and indulgent.
Jalapeno Hush Puppies [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
20 hush puppies
For the Hush Puppies:
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 cup flour (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons vegan egg replacer powder, combined with 2/3 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup diced shallots
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Chopped jalapeño peppers or mild chilis, as desired
For the Spicy Mayo:
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients. In a smaller bowl, mix the wet ingredients, jalapeños, and shallots. Add the wet ingredients to the dry mixture all at once. Stir until just blended.
- Heat a large pot of oil to 375°F. Drop the hush puppy mix by the spoonful or using an ice cream scooper into the hot oil. Try and keep the balls on the smaller side to ensure they cook all the way through. Cook for about 4-5 minutes or until golden brown. Check the first few for doughy-ness. Repeat with the rest.
- Scoop the hush puppies out of the oil and place on paper towels. Salt if needed. Serve with spicy mayo!