This herbaceous "jal jeera," or an Indian summer drink best described as spiced lemonade, can be made in just 2 minutes. Every single sip of this chilled drink will take your taste buds on a joy ride. The unique flavor of this lemonade comes from the combo of two fresh herbs — coriander and mint, and spices like roasted cumin powder, dry mango powder, ground black pepper, and black salt. In the Northern part of the India, you can get this drink at street kiosks during summertime.
Jal Jeera: Refreshing Indian Spiced Lemonade [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Jal Jeera: Refreshing Indian Spiced Lemonade [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 4 tablespoons fresh mint leaves
- 4 tablespoons fresh coriander
- 1-inch piece ginger
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons amchoor powder(mango powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (optional)
- Black salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon roasted cumin powder
- Ice cubes
- Chilled lemon soda or water, as needed
- Lemon slices, for garnish
- Fresh mint, for garnish
How to Prepare Jal Jeera: Refreshing Indian Spiced Lemonade [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Grind the ginger, mint leaves, and coriander leaves with 1/4 cup water in the blender to make a fine paste.
- Pour mint-coriander liquid into a jug. You can pass it through the strainer to remove the herb remains, but it's not necessary.
- Add the lemon juice, amchoor powder, roasted cumin powder, black salt, and black pepper powder and stir well.
- Add ice cubes and lemon soda or water and stir again.
- Add more ice cubes to serving glasses and pour jal jeera.
- Garnish each glass with a slice of lemon and mint leaves.
- Serve immediately.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per Serving: Calories: 12 | Carbs: 1 g | Fat: 0 g | Protein: 0 g | Sodium: 2 mg | Sugar: 0 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.