This jackfruit frita quesadilla is a vegan take on vaca frita which is normally made with shredded beef inside a quesadilla.
Jackfruit Frita Quesadillas [Vegan]
- 1 can young jackfruit drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 garlic cloves minced divided
- 1 teaspoon salt divided
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 Tortillas
- 4 tablespoons garlic vegan mayonnaise
- 4 slices vegan mozzarella cheese
- In a pot over medium high heat, add the jackfruit, bay leaf, 2 of the minced garlic cloves and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Add enough water to cover everything and bring to a boil. Simmer until the jackfruit is fork tender about 45-50 minutes. Add more water if it starts to evaporate.
- Drain the jackfruit and save the remaining broth. With two forks shred all of the jackfruit. Set aside.
- Heat a large pan over medium high heat and add about 2 tablespoons of the jackfruit broth onto the pan.
- Add the onions and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Add shredded jackfruit, remaining garlic and salt, lime juice, cumin, oregano and black pepper and continue cooking for 10 minutes or until the jackfruit is crispy.
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil.
- Take a tortilla and spread some of the roasted garlic mayo throughout the tortilla.
- Place the tortilla on the skillet with the mayo side facing up. Add 2 slices of the mozzarella style cheese and some of the jackfruit frita on top of the tortilla.
- Take another tortilla and spread some of the mayo on one side and place the tortilla on top.
- Once the bottom tortilla is golden brown, using a spatula and carefully holding the top tortilla, flip the quesadilla. Continue to cook until the other side is brown.
- Remove from the skillet and cut into fourths. Repeat steps 8-11 until all of the jackfruit frita is used.