Jackfruit fried chicken is the plant-based dish you didn’t know you needed. The stringy texture of young jackfruit lends itself perfectly to emulating pulled pork or chicken recipes. In this one, jackfruit is marinated in a creamy soy milk marinade, battered in zesty breadcrumbs, and fried to perfection. Enjoy these Jackfruit fried chicken strips with your favorite vegan mayonnaise or ranch dip. It’s the ultimate comfort food.
Jackfruit Fried Chicken [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Jackfruit Fried Chicken [Vegan]
For the Jackfruit:
- 1 20-ounce can young, green jackfruit, in water or brine
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup soy milk mixed with 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Vegetable oil, for frying
For the Breading:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- Reserved 1 cup of soy buttermilk marinade
- 1/2 cup flour
How to Prepare Jackfruit Fried Chicken [Vegan]
- Mix the soy milk with the apple cider vinegar in a small cup or jug. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit thoroughly. Using a sharp knife, cut away the small spongy triangle piece on each of the jackfruit. If you wish, use the knife to carefully pop out the round seeds.
- Add the jackfruit to a bowl and add the spices and garlic. Mix well with a spoon.
- Pour the soy milk and vinegar mixture over the jackfruit. Cover the bowl with cling film and leave in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or up to 3 hours.
- Carefully drain the jackfruit, reserving the buttermilk mixture.
- Prepare two bowls. In one bowl, add the reserved buttermilk mixture and whisk in the 1/2 cup of flour. In the other bowl, add the flour, spices, and herbs. Whisk well to combine.
- On the medium setting, heat about 1/2 inch of vegetable oil in a large heavy-bottomed frying pan or cast-iron skillet.
- Working in stages, dip the jackfruit into the flour mixture, shake off any excess flour, and then dip into the batter mixture and finally back into the flour before frying each side for 3-4 minutes, or until crispy and golden.
- Repeat for all the remaining pieces of jackfruit. Serve hot.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 1450 | Total Carbs: 215 g | Total Fat: 47 g | Total Protein: 37 g | Total Sodium: 199 g | Total Sugar: 1 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.