I've tried working on vegan marshmallows, but it's still a work in progress. I'll let you know when I break into it! Marshmallow root can be found at most spice shops, specialty grocery stores, and online. Marshmallow root tea should also do the trick in this recipe if you have trouble finding the actual root. This marshmallow fluff is so amazing - you can top lemon "meringue" pies with it and it will toast!
Homemade Marshmallow Fluff [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon marshmallow root
- Aquafaba (liquid from a can of chickpeas)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla-infused bourbon
- In a small saucepan, bring your chickpea liquid and marshmallow root to a boil. When it boils, lower the heat slightly and allow it to simmer/reduce for 10 solid minutes. You want it to reduce to about 1/3 cup.
- Strain the marshmallow root out of the liquid.
- Return the liquid to the saucepan and add the maple syrup and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Bring this mixture to a boil and, once it's there, lower the heat to a simmer. Continue to cook the mixture for 8 minutes.
- Once it's ready, pour the cooked liquid into the stand mixer bowl. Whisk the mixture on high for 10 solid minutes. Before your eyes, you will see the mixture turn white and whip into a light, fluffy cloud of goodness. Add the remaining teaspoon of vanilla bourbon while it's mixing.