These homemade cherry almond granola bars are way lower in sugar than most store-bought versions. They are also loaded with healthy fats, fibre, and plant-based protein! Now you can fill the house with the wonderful aroma of fresh baked granola and have some deliciously nutritious portable treats too! This recipe is for cherry almond granola bars, but feel free to play around with the flavors. You can replace the cherries, almond butter and almond extract with: dried blueberries, tahini, and pure vanilla extract; raisins, peanut butter, and pure vanilla extract; dried strawberries, peanut butter, and pure vanilla extract. Or try another flavor combo that sounds good to you! These homemade cherry almond granola bars can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks, or frozen for longer. Enjoy!
Homemade Granola Bars [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Homemade Granola Bars [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 1/2 cups gluten-free old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup raw almonds, roughly chopped
- 1 cup dried cherries, pre-soaked and drained (see note below)
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 2 tablespoons shelled hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon Ceylon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup natural almond butter
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup organic coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- optional topping: melted dark chocolate for drizzling
How to Prepare Homemade Granola Bars [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Preheat oven to 325°F and line a standard cookie sheet with parchment.
- In a large bowl, mix together oats, almonds, pre-soaked cherries, walnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, coconut, hemp seeds, chia seeds, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- Put maple syrup, almond butter, and coconut oil in a small pot over low heat. Melt together with frequent stirring. Remove from heat and stir in almond extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until well incorporated.
- Spread the granola in a single layer on baking sheet and press down firmly.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes then remove from oven and allow to cool fully before cutting into small bars.
- Drizzle with melted dark chocolate as desired.
Dried fruit can get almost rock hard when baked in granola and granola bars. To avoid this, I recommend that you pre-soak them in warm water for 30 minutes before adding.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.