Using only five basic ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry, whip up some mouth-watering Italian gnocchi! They’re super easy to make and literally melt in your mouth! And if it can’t already get any better, the freshly chopped basil leaves, artichoke, and garlic perfectly compliment these delicious vegan gnocchi bites.
Homemade Gnocchi With Sautéed Artichokes [Vegan]
For the Gnocchi:
- 2 cups of mashed baked potatoes
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg powder
- 1 1/2 cups of whole grain spelt flour
For the Vegetables and Assembly:
- 5 garlic cloves
- 3/4 cup of Italian canned artichokes
- 2 tablespoons of infused olive oil
- 10 kalamata olives, pits removed
- 1 teaspoon of dried chili flakes
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup of packed fresh basil leaves
To Make the Gnocchi:
- Preheat the oven to 392°F, then place 4-5 potatoes on a baking tray, sprinkled with sea salt, and pop them into the oven until soft. If you’re not sure, poke them with a fork.
- Once they’re ready, take them out and carefully scrape out the inner flesh of the potato, into a bowl, and puree it with a fork.
- Add the sea salt, nutmeg, and olive oil, and mix well.
- Lightly flour the countertop and your hands, then start adding 1/2 a cup to 1 cup of the whole grain spelt flour to the gnocchi dough and begin kneading like you would with regular dough. As for the flour, don’t put it all in at once, because you might not need the entire amount. Depending on the potato and how long they were baked, sometimes you might need more and other times less.
- If your dough’s sticking to your hands and countertop, simply add more flour, and continue kneading until you have a stable dough. This usually takes around 2–3 minutes. When your gnocchi dough is ready, cut it into roughly 1-inch strips.
- Bring half a pot of water to a boil. Then, flouring the surface when needed, begin rolling the strips into sausages and, with a floured knife, cut them into squares.
- When the water comes to a boil, add a pinch of salt, and add about a 1/3 of your gnocchi to the pot.
- In the meantime, heat a wok pan, then add a tablespoon of infused olive oil.
- As soon as they float, take them out with a strainer, and pop them into your heated wok pan. Toss it a few times then set aside. Repeat this until you have cooked all your gnocchi. Set aside after cooking all.
To Cook the Vegetables and Assemble:
- Finely slice the garlic cloves. Place the wok back onto the stove and add the garlic along with the chili flakes, sea salt, and ground black pepper to taste.
- When the garlic starts to lightly brown, add the gnocchi back into the wok, and give it a couple of tosses.
- In the meantime, finely chop the fresh basil leaves, cut the artichokes into quarters, and roughly chop the kalamata olives.
- Add the artichokes and the olives to the wok and give it a final toss. Remove it from the heat and add the chopped basil.