Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
This hearty minestrone is jam-packed with delicious and filling ingredients. It's light on seasoning, yet full of savory flavor thanks to the tomato-y broth that gets absorbed into the beans and pasta as they cook. This hearty soup is exactly what you need to warm up in chilly weather. Serve with a side of crusty bread so you don't miss a single drop.
Hearty Minestrone [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Hearty Minestrone [Vegan]
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1 leek white and tender green parts only, thinly sliced
- 2 cups Napa cabbage, chopped
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 3/4 cup canned red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup canned white northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked elbow noodles
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
How to Prepare Hearty Minestrone [Vegan]
- Heat a medium soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the diced onions and two tablespoons of vegetable broth, and stir.
- Water sauté the onions, adding small of amounts of vegetable broth when needed to prevent sticking, for 5 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add the garlic, celery, leeks, and cabbage and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Raise heat to high and add dry sherry, vegetable broth, and diced tomatoes.
- Whisk in the tomato paste and add bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer on low-heat for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the beans and cover. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves and stir in pasta noodles. Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste.
- Remove from heat. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with freshly chopped parsley.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?