These peanut butter protein bars are jaw-droppingly easy, mind-blowingly tasty, and pretty darn healthy too. The creamy peanut butter crust is augmented with a bit of pea protein powder and then topped with a decadent, yet healthy(ish) chocolate sauce. These bars are the perfect sweet bite to reward yourself with after a workout.
Healthy Peanut Butter and Chocolate Protein Bars [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
IFor the Base:
- 3/4 cup almond meal
- 3/4 vanilla pea protein powder
- 3/4 cup dried coconut
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup rice syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
For the Topping:
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1/4 cup rice syrup
- 1 1/3 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1/2 tablespoon mesquite and or maca (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 2-3 tablespoons dried coconut
- 2 tablespoons cacao nibs
To Make the Base:
- In the bowl of a food processor combine all of the peanut butter crust ingredients. Process them for 1-2 minutes or until mixture begins to hold together and form a ball.
- Press peanut butter bars into a baking paper-lined 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- Refrigerate them while preparing the chocolate topping.
To Make the Topping:
- Place the dates, water, peanut butter, and syrup into the bowl of a food processor or blender. Blend them for 2 minutes, stopping every 20-30 seconds to scrape the sides. You want the dates to be completely smooth and the mixture to have a caramel consistency. 3. Add the cacao powder, mesquite and cinnamon then blend until thick and creamy. 4. Spread the topping over the peanut butter bars. 5. Sprinkle the cacao nibs and coconut. 6. Refrigerate bars for at least 1 hour before serving and keep refrigerated between servings. Enjoy!