I wanted to come up with a pancake recipe that is a little more neutral in flavor. A recipe that begs for sweet toppings and a flowing river of maple syrup. Yet, of course, it still has to be healthy. These babies fit the bill perfectly, filling you up with Omega rich flax all while still tasting delicious alongside some fresh fruit and a cup of coffee or tea.
Healthy Hearty Whole Wheat Pancakes With Flax [Vegan]
- 1¼ cups whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup flax meal (ground flax seeds)
- 2 - 4 tbsp coconut sugar (I used 2 tbsp; if you like things on the sweeter side, use more)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 1¾ cup unsweetened non dairy milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Whisk flour, flaxmeal, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt to break up any clumps and combine.
- Add the soy milk and vanilla extract and whisk just until combined.
- Let batter sit for 5-10 minutes to thicken.
- Heat a skillet or griddle over medium heat. Spray with coconut oil if your skillet is not non-stick.
- Using a ¼ measuring cup, scoop batter onto the skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned on the bottom. Flip the pancake over and cook another 2-3 minutes until lightly browned on the other side.
Top these pancakes with fresh fruit and pure maple syrup.