This banana bread is sweetened entirely with bananas and dates, and the only flour required is oat flour. Easy to assemble and a healthy treat!
Healthy Banana Bread [Vegan, Gluten-Free, Oil-Free, Refined Sugar-Free]
- 2 cups oat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoons and 1/8 teaspoons sea salt
- 3 over-ripe bananas (1 and 1/2 cups mashed)
- 1 cup pitted dates – deglet noor or medjool
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free milk
- 1 tablespoons cornstarch and 3 tablespoons water (or sub tapioca starch, arrowroot, or flax seeds for the cornstarch)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
For the Toppings:
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup vegan dark chocolate chips, plus a handful for the top
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Handful of oats for the top
- 1 banana, sliced, for the top
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a loaf pan with parchment paper or lightly grease with oil and sprinkle on tapioca starch or other flour (so the bread comes out easily).
- If your dates are hard or dry, cover them with hot water for 5 minutes and then rinse and drain well. Combine dry ingredients – oat flour through salt – in a large bowl and whisk together. In a blender, combine the remaining ingredients – bananas through apple cider vinegar – and blend until smooth.
- Pour the banana mixture into the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon until just combined. Fold in the optional walnuts and chocolate chips. Pour into prepared loaf pan and smooth out with a spatula. Top with a handful of chocolate chips, oats, and the sliced banana, if desired. Bake for 40 – 45 minutes, or until lightly browned and a toothpick or knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before enjoying. Enjoy within a few days or slice and freeze individually for easier defrosting!