These tiny treats have a creamy hazelnut and chocolate spread sandwiched in between two soft, vanilla cookies. The macaron-esque shape make these an adorable dessert to have at any gathering. In Italy, these are referred to as "Ladies' Kisses."
Mini Hazelnut Vanilla Sandwich Cookies [Vegan]
- 3 1/2 ounces hazelnuts
- 3/4 cup flour, sifted
- 3 1/2 ounces vegan butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- Zest from 1 orange
- Roast the hazelnuts on a baking tray in the oven for about 15 minutes at 320° F, until they turn brown. Transfer to a clean kitchen towel and rub off the skins.
- When the nuts have cooled completely, mix them in a food processor until you achieve a crumbly consistency, a bit like sand. Then transfer the hazelnut flour to a bowl and combine with flour, vegan butter, and sugar. Work into an even dough, wrap in plastic foil, flatten, and let cool in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Take the dough out of the refrigerator, break small little pieces from it and roll into balls, approximately the size of a teaspoon. Place the balls on a baking sheet, leaving an inch or so of space between each ball, and bake in the oven for 15 minutes at 320° F. Let cool completely.
- Melt chocolate, place a teaspoon of the chocolate on the bottom half of the cookies and before the chocolate sets place the other hemisphere of cookie on top and leave to set.