These Hasselback Potatoes make for an incredible side dish to a main course! They have crispy edges and achieve a delicious cheesy flavor from the nutritional yeast. Make this along side your next meal for an incredible addition.
Hasselback Potatoes [Vegan]
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil per potato
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Pinch red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, melted vegan spread or a mix
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and prepare a baking tray
- Without cutting all the way through the potato, cut thick slices down the length of the potato. It helps to use a kitchen spoon on each side of the potato to act as a knife guard and prevent cutting through. Transfer to a baking tray.
- Brush or spray the outside of the potato with olive oil. Let the oil dribble into the cuts. Bake for 20 minutes or so.
- While the potatoes are baking, measure the nutritional yeast, herbs and other seasonings into a small bowl. Melt the vegan spread and add it to the spice mixture to make a paste.
- Remove the half baked potatoes from the oven and brush the oily paste over the potatoes.
- Use the tip of a knife to open the cut pieces slightly so you can season the insides, too.
- Return the potatoes to the oven and bake for another 20 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked all the way through.