Turon, for those who do not know what they are, is a type of banana wrapped in a spring roll pastry that is then deep-fried. It is a popular street food in the Philippines that is more or less the same wherever you go ...except for these Prepared with the saba banana, purple sweet potato, sweetened red bean, and macapuno, this is a super turon! They are delicious. That is all.
Halo-Halo Turon: Filipino Sweet Potato and Banana Spring Roll [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 6 pieces saba bananas, sliced in half lengthwise
- 12 heaping tablespoons of ube halaya (purple sweet potato)
- 12 tablespoons drained coconut
- 12 tablespoons sweetened red beans
- 12 teaspoons brown sugar
- 12 pieces large spring roll pastries
- Oil, to fry
- Place 1 slice of banana on a spring roll pastry then top it with 1 heaping tablespoon of ube halaya, 1 tablespoon of drained macapuno, 1 tablespoon of sweetened red beans and 1 teaspoon of brown sugar. Wrap it tightly with the spring roll then seal it.
- Heat enough oil for deep-frying in a wok then deep fry turon gently until golden brown in color.
- Remove them from the wok then place them in a wire rack to drain them of excess oil.
- Let them cool before serving.
Inspired by the Kanin Club.