This recipe is quick to make, and has many unique spices and flavors. The black chickpeas are cooked in chickpea flour, spices, jaggery, and tamarind to give it its heat, sweetness and tanginess. Serve it with a side of vegan, Indian bread.
Gujarati Rasawala Chana: Black Chickpea Curry [Vegan, Gluten Free]
What Ingredients Do You Need To Make Gujarati Rasawala Chana: Black Chickpea Curry [Vegan, Gluten Free]
- 3/4 cup dried black chickpeas/ black garbanzo beans
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons besan (Bengal gram flour)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder, Adjust as per desired heat
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin-coriander powder
- 2 teaspoons tamarind water
- 1 1/2 tablespoon jaggery (substitute with brown sugar)
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro (dhania) leaves
- Salt, to taste
How To Make Gujarati Rasawala Chana: Black Chickpea Curry [Vegan, Gluten Free]
- Rinse and wash the black chickpeas well. Soak in enough water overnight. Next morning pressure cook for about 6-7 whistles on medium heat, until they are tender. They shouldn't be mushy.
- Heat oil in a kadai/heavy bottomed pot. Add mustard seeds.
- Once they splutter, add besan (if there are too many lumps in the besan, sift and use ) and sauté another 30 secs on medium-low heat or until the besan turns brown in color.
- Add in the chickpeas and mix well.
- Add red chilli, turmeric, cumin-coriander powders, jaggery and tamarind water. Mix it well and sauté for another minute.
- Add 1 & 1/2 cups of water, mix it well and let it cook for 8-10 minutes until the curry thickens, stirring occasionally. Adjust the consistency as per your requirement. The curry has a tendency to thicken when it gets cold. You can add some water and reheat it to adjust the consistency. Enjoy it with roti/rice.
- Chickpea Curry
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Per Serving: Calories: 202 | Carbs: 27 g | Fat: 8 g | Protein: 7 g | Sodium: 3 mg | Sugar: 1 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile