The sauce in this recipe is inspired by what you'd find brushed on grilled foods by street vendors in the Philippines. It's sweet, smoky, and perfect for grilling tempeh. You could smother the sauce on anything that has that "meaty" texture — tofu, mushrooms, seitan, etc, and serve with your favorite starch and favorite salad for a well-balanced meal.
Grilled Tempeh With Filipino BBQ Sauce [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Grilled Tempeh With Filipino BBQ Sauce [Vegan]
For the Tempeh:
- 1 8-ounce block tempeh, cut into triangles
For the BBQ Sauce:
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4-1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (if grilling indoors)
How to Prepare Grilled Tempeh With Filipino BBQ Sauce [Vegan]
- Steam tempeh on steamer basket or colander, with boiling water underneath, for 15 minutes.
- In wide, shallow glass container, whisk ketchup and sugar. Pour oil and gently mix.
- Arrange tempeh in sauce and flip to coat both sides. Cover and marinate for 1 hour or overnight.
- Plug in your indoor grill (or prepare outdoor grill at medium heat). Grill tempeh until browned on one side, brush in more sauce, and flip to grill the other side.
- Transfer to a plate and serve.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 2146 | Total Carbs: 129 g | Total Fat: 136 g | Total Protein: 42 g | Total Sodium: 51 g | Total Sugar: 107 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.