Grilled Oyster mushroom steaks sits atop a bed of lemony pesto polenta in this creative dish. The "steaks" are plump and juicy and the roasted tomatoes and dash of balsamic vinegar bring the whole dish together. Delicious!
Grilled King Oyster Mushrooms With Lemon Pesto Polenta [Vegan]
What Ingredients Do You Need To Make Grilled King Oyster Mushrooms With Lemon Pesto Polenta [Vegan]
For the Mushrooms:
- 4 medium sized King Oyster mushrooms, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick strips
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
For the Roasted Tomatoes:
- 10 small Campari tomatoes, halved or 20-25 cherry or grape tomatoes, whole
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
For the Lemon Pesto Polenta:
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 8 medium basil leaves
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking instant polenta
- 2 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1/3 cup vegan parmesan cheese, grated
How To Make Grilled King Oyster Mushrooms With Lemon Pesto Polenta [Vegan]
To Make the Mushrooms:
- Whisk together marinade ingredients in a small bowl or measuring cup. Place the sliced mushrooms in a large plastic bag and pour in the marinade. Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- Heat a cast iron grill pan over medium-high heat. Cook the mushroom slices about 2 minutes on the first side, and 1 minute on the 2nd side for nice grill marks. Remove immediately.
To Make the Roasted Tomatoes:
- Heat oven to 425°F. Place tomatoes on an aluminum foil-lined sheet pan and drizzle with oil. Sprinkle with salt and roast for about 25 minutes.
- If you choose to use Campari tomatoes, you want them to remove them from the oven just as they start to look exhausted and wilted, and a little wrinkled, but still juicy. For whole cherry or grape tomatoes, remove from the oven as soon as some start to burst open.
To Make the Lemon Pesto Polenta:
- Purée together first 5 ingredients in a blender or small food processor. Set aside.
- Bring broth and olive oil to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat to low and whisk or stir in the polenta.
- As soon as polenta is dissolved, quickly add the basil purée.
- 3 minutes after adding the polenta, remove from heat. Stir in pine nuts and vegan Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper if needed. Serve immediately.
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile
I found King Oyster mushrooms at the farmer’s market, but the recipe works great with big portobello caps also. Just remove the stem and scrape out the gills before marinating and grill the whole caps to keep the juices in, slicing after they are cooked.
Where do you buy this big mushrooms? I can’t even get Whole Wheat buns in the shops.