Want a healthier take on a quesadilla? Give these grilled hummus quesadillas a try! Creamy hummus sprinkled with sumac is grilled to perfection and then topped with sliced grape tomatoes, scallions, and fresh herbs. Yum!
Grilled Hummus Quesadillas [Vegan]
- 1 cup thinly-sliced grape tomatoes
- 1 scallion, green and white parts, thinly sliced on diagonal
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 lemon wedges
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 8-inch whole grain tortillas
- 1 cup classic hummus, homemade or store-bought, well chilled
- 1/8 teaspoon sumac or cayenne pepper
- In a medium bowl, gently stir together the tomatoes, scallion, mint, salt, a squeeze from each lemon wedge, and 1 teaspoon of the olive oil. Set aside.
- Preheat a grill-pan (or outdoor grill) over medium-high. Lightly brush one side of each tortilla with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Flip over each tortilla, top with the hummus, sprinkle with the sumac, and gently fold. Pan-grill quesadillas until grill marks form, about 3 minutes on the first side, gently flip over, and pan-grill about 2 minutes.
- Transfer quesadillas to luncheon plates. Strain excess liquid from the salsa-like mixture, then arrange mixture on the quesadillas. Enjoy with a fork and knife. And plop the peels from the 2 lemon wedges into your beverage.
Make your own hummus to cut down on added salt.