You can never have enough hummus recipes, right? This particular one is luxuriously smooth from tahini, and lightly seasoned with paprika, onions, garlic, and lemon. Mesabacha hummus is very popular in Israel, and we think it will be in your home too!
Mesabacha Hummus [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Mesabacha Hummus [Vegan]
For the Hummus:
- 1 cup chickpeas, soaked in water for 12 hours or overnight
- 1 whole onion, peeled
- 1/2 cup tahini
- Juice from 1-2 lemons
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Garnish:
- A drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- A sprinkle of paprika
- Chopped coriander or parsley
- Chopped dill (optional)
- Sesame seeds
- Oven-roasted chickpeas (optional)
How to Prepare Mesabacha Hummus [Vegan]
- Soak the chickpeas for 12 hours or overnight in filtered water.
- The next day, drain away the water and place the chickpeas, together with the peeled onion in a large pot and completely cover with fresh water.
- Bring to a boil, cover the pot, and cook the chickpeas on a low heat, until they are completely soft. They should be at the point of falling apart at the lightest touch, which should take about 2-2.5 hours to achieve. If need be, add more water during the cooking process if the water dries up prematurely; the right quantity of water is key to achieving the right texture of the hummus afterwards.
- Once cooked, remove the chickpeas from the water and place in a separate bowl. Remove 1/2 cup of chickpeas and set aside to use as a garnish later. Then add the lemon juice, tahini, salt, pepper, and garlic to the chickpeas in the bowl. With a handheld food blender, combine the ingredients until smooth and cream-like in texture. If need be, add some of the water in which the chickpeas were cooked.
- Serve warm and garnish with fresh coriander or parsley, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, and a sprinkle of paprika.
- For the other 1/2 cup of cooked chickpeas, roasted them briefly, 20-25 minutes, in a marinade of olive oil, salt, and balsamic vinegar, and use as additional garnish if you desire.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.