These days, you can find almost anything served with buffalo sauce – which is a mixture of butter and hot sauce. The traditional Buffalo Sandwich is breaded, deep-fried, and smothered in the fatty condiment. I’ve lightened up the typical buffalo sandwich by featuring a grilled, marinated tofu and making the sandwich into a vegan po’ boy by adding a creamy slaw. The cabbage and apples in the slaw add crunch, the vegan mayo adds creaminess, and the vinegar gives it some needed acidity. This is a simple and easy to make, no fuss vegan po' boy with all delicious buffalo flavors. This might be your new go-to lunch!
Grilled Buffalo Tofu Po’ Boy with Apple Slaw [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Grilled Buffalo Tofu Po’ Boy with Apple Slaw [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup hot sauce, plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 14 -16-ounce package tofu, pressed overnight, and cut into 12-inch slices
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 medium apples, grated
- 1 medium shallot, grated
- 6 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise, plus more for spreading
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Salt and black pepper
- 4 6-inch hoagie rolls or gluten-free wraps
- 8 slices tomato
How to Prepare Grilled Buffalo Tofu Po’ Boy with Apple Slaw [Vegan]
- Combine the broth, hot sauce, and butter in a medium saucepan. Bring the sauce to a boil, add the tofu slices and reduce to a simmer. Simmer the tofu for 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside for 10 minutes to marinate.
- Combine the cabbage, apple, shallot, mayonnaise, and vinegar in a large bowl. Season with salt and black pepper and mix well.
- Heat a large grill pan over medium heat. Drain the tofu, reserving the marinade. Grill the tofu until heated through and grill marks appear, about 5 minutes per side. Baste the tofu with the reserved marinade, as needed.
- Toast the hoagie rolls or warm the wraps. To assemble the sandwiches, spread a few teaspoons of mayo on the rolls or wraps. Add 2 slices of tomato and two slices of grilled tofu to each sandwich. Top with more hot sauce, if desired, and add slaw, to taste. Serve.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 2042 | Total Carbs: 228 g | Total Fat: 87 g | Total Protein: 75 g | Total Sodium: 5320 g | Total Sugar: 62 g (Per Serving) Calories: 511 | Carbs: 57 g | Fat: 22 g | Protein: 19 g | Sodium: 1330 g | Sugar: 16 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.