This green lentil walnut pâté is a great source of plant-based protein, iron, and dietary fiber. It will warm you up and make you feel full and satisfied for longer. Enjoy it as a savory snack with carrot and celery sticks, add it to your favorite vegan wraps, or serve it as an appetizer on gluten-free crackers.
Green Lentil Walnut Protein Power Pâté [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 small cup of dried green lentils (or 2 cups of jarred lentils)
- 1 1/2 cup of walnuts, soaked for 8 to 12 hours, dehydrated and ground into a fine flour
- 1 small clove of garlic, grated
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of tamari
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of sweet Shiro miso (or chickpea miso)
- 1/4 plus 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper
- 3/4 cup of fresh parsley, minced
- Soak 1 small cup of dried lentils in cold water overnight. They will expand to 2 large cups. Rinse the soaked lentils and drain well.
- Cook the lentils in about 2 cups of water until soft. This won’t take long (about 5 to 10 minutes) since the lentils have been soaked.
- Feel free to skip these first steps and use jarred lentils to save time. Just make sure your jarred lentils don’t contain any additives.
- Place your walnuts into a food processor fitted with an S-blade. Grind into fine flour.
- Add cooked green lentils, grated garlic, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, tamari, sweet Shiro miso and black pepper. Process well until you reach a creamy pâté texture.
- Add the fresh parsley and pulse until well combined.
- Garnish with finely chopped parsley and roughly chopped walnuts.
Do you want to avoid soy? Replace the tamari and Shiro miso with coconut aminos, chickpea miso or sea salt to taste. Want to create a fully raw version of this savory walnut pate? Replace the green lentils with extra walnuts or add vegetables such as zucchini, carrots or celery to create a softer walnut veggie spread.