This special treat is the perfect dessert to bring to your next holiday party! Cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and molasses all blend to create an amazing, rich gingerbread flavor for this bundt cake. An easy to make cream cheese glaze adds a little extra sweetness and makes it even better.
Gingerbread Cake With Cream Cheese Glaze [Vegan]
1 bundt cake
For the Cream Cheese Glaze
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
For the Cake:
- 1 stick vegan butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1 cup hot water, approximately 140° F
- 1 1/4 cups molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons natural unsweetened cocoa powder, not Dutch
To Make the Cream Cheese Glaze:
- Cream the softened vegan cream cheese until light and fluffy.
- Add vegan butter, almost melted.
- Whip on high speed.
- Add the vanilla and the confectioner's sugar. Mix on medium speed until smooth.
- Increase speed to high and slowly drizzle in almond milk.
- Adjust with 1 tablespoon more almond milk if glaze is too thick.
To Make the Cake:
- Cream the softened vegan butter with the light brown sugar on medium-high speed until very light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Scrape bowl periodically to ensure even mixing.
- Sift all dry ingredients together and set aside.
- Add the molasses to the hot water, then add the baking soda. It will bubble up as the baking soda begins to activate. Stir to combine.
- Add the flax seed to the butter and sugar and mix well.
- Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients, blend well.
- Add 1/2 of the molasses and water mixture slowly while mixing on low speed.
- Stop and scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl often.
- Repeat the process with another 1/3 of the dry ingredients, followed by the remaining liquids and then the last addition of dry ingredients.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan and bake immediately in preheated 350° F oven for approximately 45-50 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center should yield sticky crumbs, not liquid.
- Cool completely in the pan then turn over onto a serving platter.
- Drizzle with cream cheese glaze.