For families that don’t do gluten and dairy, and avoid sugar and artificial ingredients, Halloween can leave kids feeling left out. These frozen banana mummies are a fun and festive food craft that will make any goblin feel included in the fun—and they are far healthier than a candy bar! Sweetness comes from the banana and a drizzle of melted cocoa butter mixed with powdered low-glycemic coconut sugar. Make a couple dozen at a time and freeze for a grab-and-go frozen treat anytime.
Frozen Banana Mummies [Vegan]
12 - 15 mummies
- 3 large firm/ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup cocoa butter chips
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- Vegan chocolate chips, raisins or candy eyes
- Lollipop sticks or kebob skewers
- Peel and slice bananas into 2-inch pieces using a dull-edged table knife. Skewer bananas with lollipop sticks or kebob skewers (cut to 4-inch lengths using wire cutters and trim off any sharp or pointed ends). Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze.
- For the candy coating, add coconut sugar to the container of a high-powered blender or clean coffee grinder. Blend/grind on high until powdery. In a small saucepan gently melt cocoa butter over low heat. Remove from heat and stir in powdered coconut sugar.
- Dab a drop of the candy coating onto a frozen banana and adhere eye. Using a spoon, drizzle candy coating over banana in all directions, avoiding the eye. Repeat with remaining bananas.
Coconut Sugar and food grade cocoa butter may be sourced online and at most natural food stores. Lollipop sticks and Wilton® Candy Eye Balls may be sourced online or wherever cake decorating supplies are sold.