This pâté lasts for ages in the fridge. We recommend saving some for the week ahead and spreading it on absolutely anything (crackers, vegetables, sandwiches), or mixing in some sour cream for a creamy mushroom dip. You could also enjoy it as a pasta sauce - it’s so versatile, and the options are endless!
White Truffle Forest Mushroom Pâté [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 9 ounces firm tofu, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- Vegan beef stock
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup dried Porcini mushrooms, soaked in 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 pound Button mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves, plus extra sprigs for garnish
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon white truffle oil
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- Melted vegan butter, to cover
- Toasted bread slices, to serve
- Place the tofu, bay leaf, and enough stock to cover in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer on low for 5 minutes.
- Drain the tofu and press with paper towel for about 10 minutes to remove excess liquid.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently until caramelized (about 5 minutes). Add the garlic and pecans, and continue to cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Strain the Porcini mushrooms and set aside the liquid. Add the Porcini and Button mushrooms to the pan along with the thyme. Cook for a few minutes then deglaze the pan with the sherry.
- Add 1/3 cup of the dried mushroom soaking liquid and cook until completely reduced. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the ingredients to a blender and add the soy sauce, truffle oil, and sherry vinegar. Blend until completely smooth.
- Fill ramekins nearly to the top with pâté, cover with melted butter and add a thyme sprig.
- Set aside in the fridge for at least 2 hours to firm up.
- Serve pâté with slices of toasted baguette.
Recipes excerpted with permission from Smith & Daughters: A Cookbook (that happens to be vegan) by Shannon Martinez and Mo Wyse, published by Hardie Grant Books March 2017, RRP $35.00 hardcover. Smith & Daughters is an award-winning vegan restaurant in Melbourne, Australia, twice voted Time Out People’s Choice Restaurant of the Year (2016 and 2014). https://www.amazon.com/Smith-Daughters-Cookbook-Happens-Vegan/dp/1743792077/?tag=onegrepla-20