This barbecue pulled jackfruit sandwich is an experience that needs to be had. Young jackfruit is simmered until tender and then broiled in sticky barbecue sauce, allowing it to absorb the flavor. This sandwich is topped with a creamy, crunchy coleslaw that's a nice contract to the tender barbecue sauce-covered jackfruit. It all comes with a side of crispy oven-baked fries — why not try piling those on the sandwich, too?
Fooled Pork Sandwich With Fries [Vegan]
For the Fooled Pork:
- 1 20-ounce can green jackfruit in brine or fresh jackfruit
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 cups vegan-friendly beer
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- Salt and pepper. to taste
- 1 cup vegan barbecue sauce
- Cilantro, for garnish
- 4 hamburger buns
For the Coleslaw:
- 1 pound cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 pound red cabbage, shredded
- 2 carrots
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoons mustard
- Juice from 1/2 a lime
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Oven-Baked French Fries:
- 3 pounds potatoes, sliced lengthwise
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
To Prep the Fooled Pork:
- Heat some oil in a large frying pan, add the chopped onion, and cook for a few minutes before adding the jackfruit, spices and liquid smoke.
- Add the beer and vegetable bouillon cube, lower the heat, cover the pan, and cook for about 45 minutes. If you don’t have a cover large enough, or, if after about 30 minutes, most of the liquid is gone, add some more beer.
- While the jackfruit is simmering, you can prepare your coleslaw and potatoes.
To Make the Coleslaw:
- For the coleslaw, simply mix all the ingredients and store in the refrigerator until you’re ready to eat. You can even make the coleslaw the day before.
To Make the Fries:
- For the fries, scrub the potatoes and slice into long wedges. Mix the oil and spices in a bowl, add the potatoes and toss to cover them in the oil/spice mixture. Place on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for about 45 minutes at 450°F.
To Make the Fooled Pork:
- The cooked jackfruit (most of the liquid should be absorbed now) can now be “pulled” or shredded, using two forks pushed into the middle of each piece, and then drawn outwards. Transfer the pulled jackfruit to an oven-safe form and mix with the barbecue sauce.
- Turn the oven to broil, place the jackfruit fairly high up in the oven, and heat until the jackfruit gets some color - about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve with the coleslaw and cilantro on your favorite hamburger bun or bread.
Total Calories: 4351 | Total Carbs: 618 g | Total Fat: 183 g | Total Protein: 82 g | Total Sodium: 6418 g | Total Sugar: 213 g Per Serving: Calories: 1088 | Carbs: 155 g | Fat: 46 g | Protein: 21 g | Sodium: 1605 mg | Sugar: 53 g Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile