Delicious dishes don't need to take all day. This simple stir-fry is packed with hearty soba noodles, meaty mushrooms, carrots, and broccoli cooked in a fragrant sauce dominated by the savory flavors of five-spice powder. It takes just 15 minutes to make, so it can be thrown together even on your busiest days.
5-Spice Stir-Fried Soba Noodles [Vegan]
For the Soba Noodles:
- 1 pound soba noodles
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
For the Sauce:
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (cornflour)
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons agave syrup
For the Stir-Fry:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound trimmed and sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- Cook the soba noodles according to the packet instructions. Drain and return to the pan. Stir in the vegetable oil, toss to coat the noodles, then cover the pan and set aside.
- To make the sauce, combine the ingredients in a large bowl and whisk until well blended. Set aside.
- To make the stir-fry, heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, carrots, onion, and garlic and stir-fry for 5 minutes, until onion and garlic are golden. Add the broccoli florets, cover the pan, and cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are crisp-tender. Add the sauce and stir for 3 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Transfer the soba noodles to a serving bowl. Pour the vegetable sauce mixture over the noodles, toss to combine, and serve immediately.
Adapted from VEGAN: THE COOKBOOK by Jean-Christian Jury (Phaidon, $49.95 US/$59.95 CAN, April 2017)
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile