Thanks to a simple but fiery dressing, this beautiful fresh salad packs quite a kick. When preparing the vegetables in this recipe, make sure everything is cut nice and thin, as this will help the dish to carry more of the dressing. A vegetable peeler makes speedy work of slicing carrots and zucchini into ribbons.
Fiery Noodle Salad [Vegan]
For the Salad:
- 100g (4oz) buckwheat or brown rice noodles
- 6 radishes, quartered
- 50g (1/2 cup) snow peas, finely sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced into ribbon-like strips
- 1 zucchini, sliced into ribbon-like strips
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 small pak choi, broken into leaves and roughly sliced or torn
- 20g (2/3 cup) sprouted seeds or beans (kale, broccoli, alfalfa or mung)
- Small handful of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 6 large mint leaves, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
For the Dressing:
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh root ginger
- 1 small red chili, deseeded and finely chopped (or retain the seeds if you want extra heat)
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown rice vinegar
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil and cook the noodles according to the packet instructions.
- Meanwhile, whisk all the dressing ingredients together in a large bowl, adding a dash of hot water if the mixture seems a bit too thick. Set aside.
- When the noodles are just done, drain and cool them straight away under cold running water. Drain thoroughly and place them in the bowl of dressing. Add all the vegetables and toss well to combine. Transfer the salad to a large serving plate and garnish with the chopped herbs and sesame seeds.