In terms of one pot, nourishing and soul-satisfying meals, chickpea curry or Chana Masala certainly takes the cake. There are a certainly a plethora of recipes for this dish, and rightfully so. However, this recipe is a wildfire of flavor. It is just the right compromise of warming heat, tangy tomato gravy, with a backbone of spices and aromatics.
Everyday Chickpea Curry [Vegan]
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 inch of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 yellow onion, small diced
- 1 can whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 cans chickpeas (reserving 1/2 a cup of the chickpea brine)
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- A sprinkle of chili flakes or cayenne
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 cup of cilantro, stems chopped, leaves for garnish
- Juice from 1/4 of a lemon
- Salt and freshly cracked pepper
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onions and cook for 8-10 min, until golden, stirring often. Add a splash of water if they begin to burn.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and the spices. Cook on medium for 1-2 min, stirring often, until aromatic.
- Add the can of tomatoes and squish them with your hands in the pot, or with a spoon or spatula, leaving small bite-sized chunks behind. Add the chickpeas, cilantro stems, and the reserved chickpea water. (or just water).
- Season generously with salt and pepper and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Once boiling, loosely cover and simmer on low for 30 min, until reduced slightly and the flavors have gotten acquainted.
- Taste and season again. Squeeze the lemon juice, stir and serve!
Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve with naan, or on a bed of basmati rice.