Eggplant ... bacon?! Yes, it's real. When prepared properly, eggplant can be wonderfully versatile when it comes to recreating meaty flavors. In this recipe, it's seasoned with liquid smoke and brown sugar, wrapped around asparagus, and then baked until it has that crispy bacon crunch factor. These are the perfect finger food for parties.
Eggplant Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Eggplant Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus [Vegan]
- 1 white eggplant
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, for sprinkling on top after baking (optional)
- Vegan Parmesan cheese (optional)
How to Prepare Eggplant Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus [Vegan]
- Peel your eggplant and cut it into very thin strips, about 1-inch wide.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together olive oil, liquid smoke, brown sugar, and salt. Add the eggplant strips to the bowl and coat in the marinade. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for an hour minimum or overnight.
- Once your eggplant has finished marinating, preheat your oven to 350°F. Chop the purple ends off of the asparagus and wrap each asparagus stalk with the eggplant bacon. About two strips of eggplant bacon per asparagus stalk should do. Depending on how long your eggplants and asparagus stalks are, you may use more or less.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. The longer you bake, the crispier your eggplant bacon will be. op with some extra garlic powder, salt, or vegan parmesan cheese prior to serving.
- Serve warm.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.