Incredibly moist and delicious, this carrot cake is also incredibly easy to make! Carrot cake is not complete without the cream cheese frosting, so of course, it's also topped with a rich layer of just that. However, if you don't have access to vegan cream cheese then you can make your own or use whipped coconut cream. What makes this cake healthier than the rest is the use of olive oil and flaxseed meal to give it the light moist texture, added fiber, and zero cholesterol.
Easy Walnut Carrot Cake [Vegan]
For the Frosting:
- 1 8-ounce container vegan cream cheese
- 1/3 cup vegan butter or margarine, softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup flour (optional, for thickening)
For the Flax Seed Mixture:
- 3 tablespoons flax meal
- 9 tablespoons water
For the Wet Ingredients:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup olive oil
For the Dry Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cup self-rising flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Fruits And Carrots:
- 3 cups of grated carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup raisins, soaked in water for 10 minutes
To Make the Frosting:
- Combine frosting ingredients and mix until smooth. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
To Make the Flax Seed Mixture:
- Mix flax meal and water together in a bowl. Set aside for 10 minutes.
To Bake the Cake:
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9-inch baking loaf pan.
- Mix the flaxseed mixture and dry ingredients in a bowl until well blended (about 2 minutes).
- Sift together the dry ingredients in another bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture. Blend well.
- Add carrots, walnuts, and raisins. Using a spatula, fold into mixture.
- Pour into one greased 9-inch baking loaf pan or square pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes on the middle rack of the oven. Then place an empty tray on the top rack and bake for another 15 minutes, or until a fork inserted into the center becomes clean.
- Cool completely before adding frosting.
- Sprinkle some chopped walnuts on top.
- Flax Seed