This simple mushroom stroganoff will never disappoint. White Button mushrooms are sautéed with onion, garlic, and a splash of white wine and savory sauces. Vegetable broth is slowly poured over the mushrooms once they are tender, followed by flour to create a gravy sauce. You have the option of either stirring the pasta into the pan or dishing out the pasta and topping it with the stroganoff. Either way you do it, a garnish of fresh herbs is a must.
Easy Mushroom Stroganoff [Vegan]
- 1 pound White Button mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- Up to 1 cup of water or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup white wine
- A healthy splash of vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 heaping tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup vegan yogurt
- Olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Smoked paprika, sprinkled liberally
- Roughly chopped flat leaf parsley, to garnish
- 1 package noodles, cooked according to package instructions
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, heat a healthy splash of olive oil. Add the onion and garlic, sauté until fragrant, anywhere from 5-10 minutes. Season with salt.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté. The mushrooms will brown and release a lot of liquid. At this point, cook the noodles according to their package instructions
- Add the white wine and scrape the bottom of the pan to get all the good brown bits. Next, add in the Dijon mustard and a healthy splash of Worcestershire sauce.
- Allow the mixture to reduce down, scraping the pan periodically.
- Spoon a minimum of 1 tablespoon or up to 2 tablespoons flour over the mushrooms. Stir the mushrooms until the flour has been incorporated into the oils/liquid/onions. Slowly add the water or vegetable broth, l at your discretion, depending on how saucy you want the stroganoff to be.
- Allow for the mixture to warm through and thicken.
- Add the coconut yogurt and paprika and stir until fully incorporated.
- By this point, the noodles should be done. The dish can be served with the sauce ladled over the noodles, or the noodles can be added into the pan and mixed through with the mushrooms.
- Garnish with parsley and more paprika.