An easy black bean quinoa chili made with pantry ingredients. This comforting vegan dinner is packed with flavor and contains a generous amount of plant protein from the black beans and quinoa. Serve it with avocados, vegan cheese, green onions and cilantro to take it to the next level.
Easy Black Bean Quinoa Chili [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Easy Black Bean Quinoa Chili [Vegan]
For the Chili:
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups crushed or diced tomatoes, canned
- 4 cups (900ml) vegetable broth, no added salt
- 1 can (540ml/19oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup quinoa, dry
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, ground
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- Pepper to taste
- Pinch of cayenne (optional)
- Vegan cheese
How to Prepare Easy Black Bean Quinoa Chili [Vegan]
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook for 5 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the bell pepper and cook for another 3-5 minutes. Stir in the chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder and salt. Cook 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in your canned tomatoes, vegetable broth, quinoa and black beans. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low-medium and simmer for 15 minutes, covered.
- Move away from heat and let it sit, covered for 5-10 minutes until the quinoa is fluffy and your chili is nice and thick.
- Taste and add salt or pepper if needed. Top with avocados, vegan cheese or other toppings of choice.
Add more cayenne pepper for a spicier chili. Different chili powders will differ in their spice level. Taste your chili and add more or less spices to taste. If you use low sodium vegetable broth instead of unsalted broth, you can reduce the amount of salt as needed. I would recommend starting with 1/2 teaspoon and increasing as needed. Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. This recipe can also be kept in the freezer. Let it thaw overnight in the fridge before heating.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.